Blogging for beginners may seem as a tedious task especially if you do not have any idea about what blogging is or how to start and manage a blog. In this article, I will talk about an introductory aspect to blogging.
Blogging simply refers to writing, posting and sharing of written contents like articles, news, stories and media related contents and then putting it online or on the internet. If you are a writer or content creator, blogging will help you create and develop your online presence and making it easier to reach a wide audience globally.
Before I proceed, I would like to differentiate between a blog and a website. These two are similar and at the same time different.
A blog is an online journal or informational website which displays information/contents in a reverse chronological order, with the latest posts appearing first or in sequence, at the top. This arrangement is dependent on how the owner of the blog want.
A blog is used by a writer or groups of writers to share their views on an individual subject. Blogs are divided into ‘niche’ – depending on what the writer intends writing about. Blogs can be about technology, blogging, fashion, news and also general information.
A website is a set of pages of information on the internet about a particular subject, published by a single person or organization. Website is mainly used to showcase a business, organization, profile or company.
A website can be created and maintained by an individual, group, business or organization to serve a variety of purposes like selling of products, e-commerce services, applying for vacancies, showing details about company or organization, business portfolios etc.
IMPORTANCE OF BLOGGING
As a newbie in blogging, it is a necessity that you know the importance of blogging or having an online presence in form of a blog or a website. Below are the importance of blogging.
- It allows an individual to share his ideas about a particular topic. Let us take for example you know much about technology, you can opt in to blog about tech as it is your passion or what you love.
- It helps writers develop their writing skills. Writing routinely will help you develop your writing prowess and at the same thing be more effective and confident in using different vocabularies.
- It gives a company or organization a voice. Imagine a company/organization that does not have an online presence or brand in this computer age. How will they be like.?
- You can make money from your blog. You can advertise products/services for individuals/clients and get paid. This is by possible by selling ads spaces on your blog/website. This is dependent on the traffic or visitors you are having on your site/blog.
- You can partner with advertising network such as Google adsense, ezoic, media.net etc to display ads on your site and then get paid. This is dependent on certain factors like your blog/site content quality and traffic. Sites must be in compliance with all these ads network’s policies.
- You can partner with affiliate websites selling their good, products/services and make money via products/services purchased using your affiliate link.
QUALITIES A BLOGGER MUST POSSESS
I really want to address this area of uncertainty about qualities of a blogger. Successful bloggers must possess the following qualities:
You must be creative
This is really a necessary quality a blogger must possess. How creative are you?. Do you really know about what you are writing about?. Will your audience find your article informative and useful.? Are you able to put words in the right place while writing.? These are the questions an intending blogger should be asked or ask himself before starting the blogging journey.
You must be consistent in writing
This is very necessary in blogging. Creating and uploading new content on your blog everyday will really go a long way in helping your blog rank better on search engines like Google, yahoo, bing etc. It will also attract new visitors/readers to keep returning to read your content.
Be ready to invest
Let take for example you want to publicize your blog to the world, you may have to pay people or Social media advertising services to help advertise your business blog/website. This will help you engage more readers/customers as people will get to know what you can offer or what you see blogging about.
Do away with the mindset of earning immediately you start blogging
This will kill your vibes if it doesn’t work out that way. Just try building your audience and traffic then there will surely be a way to earn. Keep developing your blog over time and then you will be eligible to start using any of the monetizing channels to monetize your blog.
STARTING OUT A NEW BLOG
Before setting out to start blogging, you need to choose a blog DOMAIN NAME. This is a specific address your blog will be accessed via the internet. A domain name looks like this www.xyxyxy.com where xyxyxy is the domain name and .com is the domain extension. Other domain extensions available are .org, .net .com.ng(Nigerian domain extension) , .ng(Nigerian domain extension) etc. The .com is the most widely used domain extension in the world.
The next step is hiring a web designer to create a blog/website for you. Tell him about the features you want in your blog and he will disclose whether it is feasible. He will name his price for the job and this will cover both domain name charges, hosting charges(a web space your site database files will be hosted) and web design fees as stipulated by your web designer. He will then deliver the blog/site to you with your administrative login details/information. It is better to keep your web designer close to you because you should have someone who will be in charge of maintaining /fixing your blog incase of running into any tech issues.
If you do not have an idea on how to create contents on your blog, your web designer will guide you through that.
So these are basic things you should know about blogging. Thanks for reading and I hope you find this article useful.